Thursday, May 16, 2013

RSS in Plain English



So, I am new to the whole blogging thing.  I have been playing around with everything here and have been trying to figure out how it all works.  I realize that there is a recommended book for us to read,
Richardson, W. (2010).  Blogs, wikis, podcasts, & other powerful web tools for classrooms. 3rd ed.  Thousand Oaks, CA:  Corwin Press 

However, I have found that it is often much faster and easier to follow along with videos posted on YouTube when trying to learn a new skill.  
The RSS feed.  What is it?  This short video helps explain that to you.  Still, it does not apply directly to Blogger.  So, if you are posting to Blogger as well, here is what I have found out.  

If you log into Blogger and come to your home page, you should see a place for your blogs at the top and underneath, a tab that says Reading list.   
Now, what you want to do is look down underneath reading list where is says 'Add'.  This is where you will add the blogs and news sites you want to follow.  This is just like the Google reader discussed in the video but it is directly on your blog.  Click on 'Add'...
If you have created a Google reader already, you can import your reads from there.  If not, simply copy the URL address from the page you want to follow, paste it in the box next to 'Add from URL' and click the orange box at the bottom that says 'Follow.'

And that's it!

It will take a moment to save the pages you have chosen to follow but then you will have a feed of all the latest posts from that page.  As you add more pages to your reader, there will be posts from all of those pages intermittent with the most recent posts listed first.  
At the moment, I am only following the posts from Punya Mishra's web page as suggested by JMG.  Above is what my feed looks like for now.  

* UPDATE: I am now following several of you from EDU 701.  This will be very helpful when we need to peer review each other's blogs or simply respond to posts.  There is an easy way to do this.  Simply copy each blog address from the list under discussion board.  Once you have copied an address, paste it into the 'Add from URL' box.  Then, click on the '+Add' to the right.  This will drop down another box for you to paste yet another URL address.  Continue doing so until you have added all the blogs you would like to follow.  Final click 'Follow' at the bottom of the screen.  
Once you have added all of your blogs, you can look at the updates from each blog one at a time, or if you click 'All blogs' the feed will show the most recent updates for all the blogs you are following.  

I hope this helps someone out there! 

Happy blogging!  


4 comments:

  1. Anna, I think you may have just saved my life. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anna--Thanks for the very helpful and detailed instructions about embedding our Voicethread and subscribing to RSS feeds. I am amazed at the variety of instructional videos and guides on-line that help guide one through learning a new technique. Thanks for being part of that help. (Screenshots are great!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you break the process into steps! I need to try that for showing some of the teachers at my school how to use web 2.0 tools.

    Is it just me or is subscribing to RSS feeds cumbersome and frustrating? I used Feedly, which has a similar process. Safari used to have an integrated RSS reader but they dropped it, so maybe I was spoiled. There is a workaround, but it wouldn't sync with all my devices. I sound like Mrs. Jetson complaining about push-button-finger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Heidi, I agree. It is very cumbersome. And the process in Blogger is in general, in my opinion, a bit more clear than in Wordpress. Thanks, Anna, for the Youtube video. Simple is often best.

    ReplyDelete