Tuesday, July 16, 2013

There are two sides to every story...

..and often times, more than that.

My educational experience of history has been mainly guided by textbooks.  I have had teachers that have taken our engagement outside of the text to work in groups on projects of different kinds, however, all of the content has always been guided by the textbooks.  Because of this, I have found that the 'history' I have been taught is the history of the majority.  The textbooks tell us about the major players in important events.
But who has decided that the events written about in history books are the only important events that have taken place? Who has decided which events to include and which to leave out?
And then, I think its important to remember that just like any other written text, a textbook is filled with the words, ideas, and opinions of one person or group of people.  It cannot encompass all of the different perspectives and view points of any and all events in history.

I feel that this is one of the most important things that teachers can discuss with their students.  Students need to know and understand that every text should be analyzed under the context in which it was written.  Students need to know that it is ok to disagree with others or to bring different perspectives on an issue into a discussion.  In order to teach and reinforce the concept of different perspectives to my class, I will spend time discussing how any event can involve many different people and each one of those people will have their own interpretation of what took place.
In discussing perspective, I will be sure to involve the students in my classroom from all walks of life. Students with disabilities and who's native language is not English  may offer a new way of thinking about old topics.
Textbooks are a source of basic content.  In order to involve my students in critical thinking and analysis of history and culture, I will use a multitude of resources that provide many different perspectives on a particular topic.  ESL students and students with different needs will be able to use the resources that best suit their learning so that they can be a valued part of any class discussion.  Students will go beyond the textbook to look at original sources, listen to personal accounts, research topics online, read stories from the perspective of different people.
In teaching history, I would do my best to create an environment that values all traditions and perspectives.  As I teacher I would do what I can to provide information to my students that develops concepts and events through the lens of different perspectives.  Then, it is up to the students to decide what they think and how they feel.

1 comment: