Friday, June 21, 2013

Course Meta Reflection

       Looking back over my previous blog posts and relating the information there to what I have learned in this course on technology makes me realize that I have indeed learned quite a lot.  I have been introduced to many new tools that I can implement in my own classroom in the future and I have been able to work with those tools, developing useful skills and understanding of those websites, apps, and Web 2.0 tools.
       In my blogs I feel like I tried to share the ways I went about creating pages and sharing information through these new forms of technology.  Often times it is overwhelming to learn a new skill, and learning to navigate new technologies is almost like learning a new language.  I decided to use my blog to try and help others in their journey by providing step-by-step instructions of how to navigate these different tools.  In doing so, I was able to grow my own understanding of the tools and how to maneuver them as well as become more proficient at using these tools in an effective, creative, and engaging way.
       Of course, I learned about many more different new tools and strategies to use in the classroom over the semester than are posted here in my blog.  I feel like each post is representative of the things I found to be most useful, most engaging, and most inspiring for both teachers an students.  I know that I have been inspired to continue my own education in technology and to use my new discoveries to enhance my teaching in the classroom.
       Over this course I have moved from someone who used technology for social and research purposes but never truly saw myself using these technologies in the classroom.  Now that I have had experience using tools designed specifically for educators and seen them used effectively, I am encouraged and inspired to stretch past my own comforts and capabilities to find new tools and work within the realms of technology in my classroom.  As the world continues to move forward, it is our job as teachers to be leaders and motivators for our students to grab hold of the new inventions and discoveries being made and use them as tools to create a better future.


Our last assignment was to create a global classroom project.  Our group decided to work through a non-profit organization called Kids to Kids International.  While this project is not the most technologically advanced, it is still inspiring.  It allows students here in the United States to make connections to other children across the globe through the most basic forms of communication, pictures and words.  It is an opportunity for children to develop an understanding of what it means to be human, to be a student, and to be a leader in the world.
We were unable to show our full video in class so I have decided to post it here for any of you that are interested.

http://www.ktki.org/


3 comments:

  1. "Over this course I have moved from someone who used technology for social and research purposes but never truly saw myself using these technologies in the classroom. Now that I have had experience using tools designed specifically for educators and seen them used effectively, I am encouraged and inspired to stretch past my own comforts and capabilities to find new tools and work within the realms of technology in my classroom."

    I resonate so much. This describes my journey through this course as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Katrina, I think we have all changed in the ways we use technology. I personally enjoyed that your blog included a lot of how-to's. I know I looked here when I wasn't sure of how to do something. As you add more of them, please include how to fix pictures that appear blank in a post. I'm sure you'll figure it out before I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pleased you posted your video here for MANY folks to view...way beyond the rainbow of our EDU class! Please post/share the sources you used for the video,including music, for all to see!

    Your blog posts are 'exemplary' regardless of rubric used. Your posts provide insight & understanding, are creativity and fluently written in a voice that reflects your unique personality.

    ReplyDelete